Skip to main content

Three of My Favorite Nonfiction Books




Note: This post contains affiliate links. That means I will get a commission on purchases made through some of the links in this post at no extra cost to you. I won't recommend anything I wouldn't buy myself.


Over the past few years, I have read quite a few nonfiction books on the subject of writing. Some of them changed the way I write, and for those of you who are writers themselves, I thought I would share some of them with you.


The Story Equation

I got this book over a year ago, and it still sits on my shelf where I refer to it from time to time. It's actually the reason I learned how to plot and finish a story, and I still use the system introduced in this book for just about all my fiction. 
This is a wonderful resource for anyone struggling with plotting, outlining, or characterization. 
The best part is that it focuses on using your character to create the story, rather than the other way around. So, if you struggle with creating character-driven plots, this may be exactly what you need to figure it out.


Writer to Writer: From Think to Ink

I love the conversational way this book is laid out. Most of the information in this book actually stems from questions that were put forward on Gail Carson Levine's blog. 
Because it answers questions from other writers, it is able to get to the heart of what we writers really want to know and give good actionable advice for these problems based on Gail Carson Levine's experience as a fiction writer.
The book covers a variety of topics, including inspiration, character creation, and your inner critic. Each chapter ends with one or more prompts to help you apply what you've learned, and have a little fun writing. (If you enjoy this book, you may also enjoy one of Gail Carson Levine's other books called Writing Magic.)

Real Artists Don't Starve

This is such a wonderful book for anyone struggling with doubts that their writings and creative works will never make a career.
While it focuses on creative work in general, the information applies to all creatives, including writers. 
Throughout the books, Jeff Goins discusses where the myth of the starving artist came from, and compares the mindset and actions of an artist that starves to the one that thrives.
However, if you are expecting a book that will simply tell you that you can do anything, this is not the book for you. This book will challenge the way you think about art and the way you go about pursuing your art.

If you have writing books you love or want to recommend, let me know in the comments, I'm always looking for new things to read.

Comments

Popular Posts

True Heroes: A Short Story

Here is one of my short stories, and I promise more stories will be coming. This one has superheroes, adventure, and a touch of espionage. Without further ado, here's the story. *** Rick tiptoed through the empty building until he came to a locked door.  Behind that door were the most high-tech weapons known to man, and in just a moment Rick would be holding one of them. He grinned and slipped the key he had swiped from his sister into the lock. As he tiptoed inside, the door creaked, and Rick cringed. You would think an organization that was home to leading experts on security would care for their hinges better. Taking a mental note to grease the door hinges tomorrow morning, he moved to the racks of weapons lining the walls. He selected the one weapon he had always wanted to try. To an untrained eye, it looked like a pair of large wrist guards. They reached down over the wearer's hands, with circular pieces of machinery resting on the palm. Once, Rick had as...

Dragon Smith: A Short Story

As promised, here is the short story I have been working on. It has dragons, danger, and a hero who never wanted to save the day. This is one of my shorter stories. If you like fiction, but not the time commitment, this is for you. *** It was said that the people of Cavlan Valley were survivors. They survived a disease that stole many of their own, and they survived the oppressive presence of the dragons that dwelled in their mountains. And that is why, as Nate walked down the market's narrow street, he kept a firm grip on his two thirteen-year-old brothers. Elliot squirmed. “You don't have to hold onto us you know. We won't run off ” Nate didn't remove his grip.  “I'm not worried about that, I'm protecting you. ” “ We don't need protecting. ” Isaac piped up. “It's not like we're in any danger from- ” “Dragons! Dragon attack!” As the cry went up, Nate pushed down his rising terror and pulled his brothers towards the mill, the o...

You know you're a writer when:

If you've been around here for any length of time, you know that I have a true obsession with writer jokes. The more relatable, the better. So, when I began to see 'you know you're a writer when' jokes, I couldn't help myself. Thus, this list of thoughts and situations that nearly every writer seems to find themselves in. You know you're a writer when: y ou get a little overly excited about characters . I mean come on, you love your characters, what's not to be excited about? You know you're a writer when: you're both excited and disappointed by the concept of being your own boss. On the one hand, you have full control over your schedule. On the other hand, you have to be the one to design and enforce your schedule. You know you're a writer when: y ou sometimes feel that your secondary characters are being wasted. So much character depth, so little space in the plot. You know you're a writer when: y ou're afraid that people...

The Girl from Vakril: A Short Story

Morgan crouched low to the ground and followed her target with her eyes. He trampled the underbrush underfoot with a confident stride, not bothering to step carefully or cover his tracks. Convenient, but incredibly foolish. Any lingering doubt as to his identity was extinguished when he sauntered into the camp and exchanged his plain cotton jacket, for a navy blue coat with medals down the front. Randall Mahoney, Colonel of the Vakril army, kept up a brisk pace as he strolled through the camp, and ducked into a large tent. Morgan scaled a tree and observed the goings on carefully from the safety of her perch. This particular end of the camp was mostly empty, or it would be if it weren’t for the guards circling the perimeter looking for intruders. Intruders like her. A distraction was clearly in order. She pulled a small stone from her pocket and waited until only one guard was in sight before throwing it as hard as she could into the trees. When the guard stopped t...

What You Need to Know About Starting a Writer's Notebook

I have to be honest, I tend to be overly optimistic when it comes to remembering ideas. I'll have some great idea, and think to myself that there is no way I could forget something that great. Well... I can. That's why I keep something I call a writer's notebook. That notebook is one of my favorite writing tools. Basically, it's a place to jot down all those great ideas before they're gone. Why do you need one? Having a notebook makes sure I write down my ideas when I get them. I know from experience that even though I have all confidence in my ability to remember that idea, I usually don't. Having a place to write things down has saved me from a lot of wasted time trying to remember things. It also keeps a great deal of inspiration in one place, making it easy to find ideas for new stories. Where should you keep it? To place the notebooks effectively, you need to understand where you'll be most of the time, and when you get the most ideas. I...

Book Review: The Girl Who Could See

Note: This post contains affiliate links. That means I will get a commission on purchases made through some of the links in this post at no extra cost to you. I won't recommend anything I wouldn't buy myself.   Today, I'm reviewing a book I found and enjoyed immensely about a year ago. At first, it was the book cover that drew me in, (because come on, that thing is gorgeous.) Then I read the book, and I loved it even more.  Let's start with the details.  Title:   The Girl Who Could See Author: Kara Swanson Length:   This is a novella, so perfect for those of you with busy lifestyles Genre:   Science Fiction/Fantasy, Young Adult Pricing: e-book:  2.99 or free with  Kindle Unlimited Paperback:  8.99 Audiobook:  free with  Audible Description: Fern Johnson sees another world and the warrior that lives within it. Proclaimed crazy by doctors, Fern is determined to suppress her vision and be normal. But, no m...

5 Reasons to Use an Outline

I f you asked me a year ago how I felt about outlines, I would have told you that I didn't particularly like them and never used them. I didn’t finish very many projects either. I decided it was better for my creativity that I not be constrained by an outline. Well, my creativity did fine until the middle of a piece, when it just became too hard to figure out what was going to happen next. At that point, I would decide to set that aside and work on a different project. You have no idea how many half-written drafts I have lying around from this. Since then, I have become a strong supporter of outlines. I still don’t enjoy making them, though it has gotten easier. I wouldn't write them at all except that I can finish things now. I can write an entire piece, and know exactly where I’m going the whole time. It’s really quite wonderful. Outlines help organize your thoughts. When I don’t use outlines, I tend towards rambling. I will repeat myself several different t...